Sunday, June 29, 2014

Looking through different eyes

Friends,

    Saturday, in between, visits, I was noticing the lawns while driving.  There were some very beautiful lawns, some very nice lawns, and some that need a little work.  One house was especially noticeable.  It was not the lawn that caught my eye but rather a young man and his mom working in the yard.

    She was sweeping and he was trimming the grass along the driveway with a shovel.  Both were working very hard in the noon-day heat.  Driving by the house, the thought occurred to turn around and stop at the house.

    I made a legal turn, returned to the house, and parked.  Not knowing how either would react to a stranger stopping, I quickly got out of the car and introduced myself as the Mayor.  "I just want to say thank you for making your yard so neat and attractive."

   "I especially want to say thank you for helping your mother and working so diligently in the yard."

   "Thank you, Sir," the young man said.

   "How old are you?

  " I am 14, Sir."

   What grade are you in?

   " I am going into the 9th grade, Sir."

   "That is great.  You, your work ethics, and your attitude are examples of a quality young man.   It is an honor to meet you.

   This is Salado with young people who are at the top.  It is indicative of our parents, our teachers, and our institutions of learning.  

   As we examine the issues that are before our village, I respectfully request that we remember our decisions are not only about our health and welfare but for their future.

                              Most respectfully, Skip Blancett

No comments:

Post a Comment