Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Art of Negotiation -- humble pie

Friends,

      Saturday morning there was a knock on the door.  Gayle opened the door and there stood four beautiful girls -- three in the second grade and one in the fourth.

      Is the Mayor home?

      Yes, but he is on the phone.

      Can we talk to him?

      Yes, you may.  Would you like to come in?

      Sure.  We are studying about President Obama and the Mayor in school.

      Enter the Mayor.

      Hello, Ladies, what an honor.  How may I help you.

      We wanted to meet you because we are studying about you in class.  Can we have your autograph?

      I am really honored.  Thank you.  Yes, but first I would like to ask how the Village can help you?

      How about free ice cream on Saturday.  (girl one)



      Well, I am not sure.  I can get free snow cones.  (Mayor)

      I would like to go to school four days instead of five. (girl two)

      Ok.  I am going to speak to you class in a couple of weeks.  Let's talk about it.  (Mayor)

      I would like to have free pizza.  (girl three)

      Would you like to have a carnival this summer?  (Mayor)

      We have to go now.  (Girl one)

       Thank you for coming.  I will write down your suggestions and discuss them with the Aldermen/Lady and Chamber.

       Ok. Bye.

Only one thought.  The unexpected art of negotiation with second graders is powerful.  As a village, we do not have enough activities for our children and families.

This will be the best Saturday in the history of being Mayor.

VR/Skip

   



No comments:

Post a Comment